Join now

Need help with marrow donor drive in Chennai

Dear All,

No, this is no spam.

I am the InterNations Istanbul Ambassador.
This is about the little boy of two good friends of my husband and me. We got to know them while working in China, they now live in the US.

4 year old Devan has been battling leukemia for nearly 3 years now. He just relapsed with a high-risk type of leukemia (APL) and he now urgently needs a bone-marrow transplant - but so far there is no match for him in the database. Devan's doctors say he has a 1 in 200,000 chance of finding a match which is worse odds than most people because he is 1/4 South Indian and 3/4 Northern European.

Please take the time to read about Devan and the donor drive here and spread the word: Protected content

We are urgently looking for people in India who could help organise a donor drive and/or who want to register as a marow donor. Protected content
If you are interested please write to Protected content with your name, city & tel/mobile details

Please please copy and forward this mail to friends and colleagues of yours who you think might participate, especially individuals who are of mixed South-Asian/European ancestry, like Devan.

It doesn't take much to get registered with your national donor registry, just a saliva swab and you might save him. If you are matched to save a life, donation is very easy and painless these days - similar to donating blood.

Adding as many donors to the global databases will help Dev and many others clinging to life right now. - This can happen to anyone at any age and god forbid you should get into a similar situation. Then you or a loved one would depend on this registry.

Thank you!

Gundula Strittmatter

WHERE TO REGISTER

=> In the US go to Be The Match Bone Marrow Registry, Protected content (you need to be 60 or under)

=> In the UK go to the Anthony Nolan Trust, Protected content (you’ll need to be 40 or under) there is no cost or charge for you.

=> In Germany go to Protected content They will send you a cheek swab kit - it's that easy!

=> In other countries go to Bone Marrow Donors Worldwide, Protected content

Finally, if you’re pregnant, your cord blood is particularly valuable for helping children like Devan – please look here to learn more: Protected content

Chennai Forum

Our Global Partners