Join now
Log in Join

Moving to Chennai?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Moving to Chennai with relevant information for expats.

Marc De Smet

Living in India, from Belgium

"I like all the possibilities this network offers to me: From finding information over my new dentist to meeting other expats in my free time."

Anja Tarasov

Living in India, from Belarus

"Chennai is an amazing, dynamic and bustling city, but I felt so lonely not having any friends here. Now I know many other expatriates."

InterNations - a community of trust

Chennai at a Glance

Moving to Chennai

Will you be moving to Chennai soon? As an expat, you’ll need to know the practical issues involved in this endeavor. Read on in the following guide for detailed explanations of visa requirements and residency permits, as well as how to get around in the city.

A Visa for Every Expat Type

Before moving to Chennai, you will have to select the correct visa for your visit. All foreign nationals, except for citizens of Nepal and Bhutan, need a visa to legally enter the country. This includes the kids of expat couples as well.

There are many different visa options, but if you intend to work in Chennai, you will need either a business visa or an employment visa. Dependents (spouse and/or children) of foreign nationals working in India should apply for an entry visa instead. Other specialized visas include:

For more detail on these visa types, please see our pages on relocating to India. All visas can be obtained via the nearest Indian Embassy or Consulate. Please note that many Indian missions abroad have outsourced the visa application process to a visa center. This is usually indicated on the respective mission’s website.

You should allow at least one full week for your visa to arrive. However, keep in mind that this timeframe is provided you have all necessary documents when applying and are not asked to provide additional paperwork. You should therefore apply well in advance of your planned moving date.

All visa applications require:

Depending on the kind of visa you need for moving to Chennai, you have to provide a variety of supporting documents. For example, if you are the spouse of an expat employed in Chennai, you have to attach a marriage certificate and a copy of your spouse’s passport and visa. 

Business Visas

This visa is aimed at people who wish to explore business opportunities or conduct business in Chennai. To be eligible for this visa, you cannot be working for, or earning an income from, an organization within India, but rather working on behalf of a client or contracting body outside of India.

While a business visa allows for mulitiple entries and may be granted for up to five or even ten years depending on your business and nationality, it is only valid for a maximum of six months per stay. Therefore, moving to Chennai on a business visa will always only be temporary.

In addition to the above-mentioned visa requirements, you will also need a letter of invitation from a business associate in India, as well as a letter of recommendation from your company. Both should state the nature of your business and the duration of your stay. The areas and companies you intend to visit and the employer’s intention to meet your expenses should be included along with your full name and passport details (passport number, issue date, expiry date).

Employment Visas

Moving to Chennai with an employment visa is the most popular option for expat families. This visa is valid for expats who intend to take up employment in India and receive a salary from a company or organization registered there. The dependent family members of the visa holder can then apply for an entry visa tied to the initial employment visa.

The duration of an employment visa — i.e. for how long it is valid — is at the discretion of the Indian Embassy or Consulate. It is valid for an initial period of one year and can be extended for up to five years at the FRRO in Chennai.

To obtain an employment visa before moving to Chennai, you will also need

Depending on your field of work or occupation, you might have to enclose additional documents for a successful visa application (e.g. for expats working in the media or in the IT industry).

Residence Permits: Mastering the FRRO Maze

If you plan on moving to Chennai for a period exceeding 180 days, you will need to register with the Foreigners’ Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 14 days of your arrival in Chennai. If you register late, you will incur a fine.

Naturally there are exceptions to the parameters outlined above such as for Pakistani nationals who have to register within 24 hours of arrival, but they act as a good rule of thumb. Another deviation from this rule is if your visa is issued on the condition of “registration required”, which means you will have to register regardless of the duration of your stay.

The FRRO Chennai is located at Shastri Bhawan Annex, 26, Haddows Road. It should be one of your first stops after moving to Chennai. Check if you need to have your Indian tax ID number (PAN) in order to get registered. This is something your company can help you obtain and, if applicable, should be done before heading to the FRRO. For the FRRO you will need to make an appointment online first and then show up on the day in question between 09:30 and 13:00.

Fill out the form, upload a photo, and print out the online document with the date of your appointment, and show it to the person on duty. Without that printout, you may simply be sent home again. You also need to bring:

Queues can be long, so arriving early is a good idea. All foreign nationals above the age of twelve need to show up for registration in person. Please be aware that different regulations may apply for selected nationalities and, in particular, for foreign nationals who traded in their Indian nationality or who are officially considered People of Indian Origin.

Parents may only act as stand-ins for younger kids. There is a lot of contradictory information as far as the registration of minors under 16 years of age is concerned. Official websites refer to a law that explicitly exempts foreign minors from FRRO registration as long as they have a visa. However, local FRRO staff members at various offices have still been known to insist on it. If you want to err on the side of caution, either call ahead, ask other expats with children, or bring along your older kids to the registration office upon moving to Chennai.

Once you have been registered, you should obtain your residence permit, and you will have successfully completed your move to Chennai.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

InterNations Expat Magazine