Join now

Funny, touching book about raising kids overseas (Chicago)

I’m an adoptive mother of two Chinese daughters and an award-winning author and Financial Times columnist. I have just published a book about raising my Chinese daughters in China, where we lived for 8 years before moving to Chicago last year.

Kindle version $3.99 link: Protected content

No Kindle needed to read this ebook! With the Kindle app it can be read on any phone, iPad or computer. Link to app: Protected content

It’s had very good reviews on Amazon (I’ve pasted some at the bottom of this email).

It’s also available at this link in paperback for $9.99: Protected content

Peek inside the book for free (link): Protected content

Read the book excerpt recently published by the Financial Times (link): Protected content

Editorial Reviews

"Waldmeir is a truly amazing wordsmith, and her book is the most 'real' about adoption, and about the amazing journey we adoptive parents go on, which I have had the privilege to read (and I have read them all I think!)" —Carma Elliot, CMG OBE, former UK Consul General Shanghai

"A heartwarming memoir that every adoptive family should read. Patti Waldmeir's attempts to raise her American-raised, China-born daughters in Shanghai is a cross-cultural romp that raises some very important questions--what it means to be a parent? what it means to be born into one race, and raised by another?" --Mei Fong, author of "One Child: Story of China's Most Radical Experiment."

“Patti Waldmeir is one of the great foreign correspondents of our times. In this book, she turns the lens on herself to tell the saga of highly-accomplished, never-married, middle-aged white woman who crossed an ocean to create a family. It’s a story of abandonment, adoption, identity, race and culture— and how these concepts and boundaries have a way of going blurry in the modern world.” —Paul Taylor, former executive vice president, Pew Research Center

Chicago Forum

Our Global Partners