Join now

American Expatriate Research (Cologne)

Dear InterNations,

I am a researcher from New York, and I am now living and working in Germany with the Bielefeld University Research project “Expatriate Manager: The Everyday Experiences of Living and Working Abroad”. I am emailing you to find out how you would suggest accessing other Americans here in Germany to get the information out to them and to get their input as Americans abroad. I believe that InterNations is an excellent forum fromwhich this kind of cutting-edge research can be developed.

This project aims to highlight the role of expatriate persons in managerial positions from the United States who are now living and working in Germany. This is a DFG funded project with a budget of over 450,000 euros, and has been developed in collaboration with MIT’s Sloan School of Management, the Institute for World Society Studies at Bielefeld University, the Institute for Industrial Research at Kwansei Gakuin University, and Alpen-Adria Universität Klagenfurt in Austria. From this project, various presentations at international conferences, and articles published in internationally renowned journals such as Organization Studies, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, and the Journal of International Management, and a book, complete with research findings, will be published.

The research produced from the “Expatriate Managers” project will highlight the significance of expatriate managers in implementing global programs. In such a highly competitive globalized environment, an understanding of how US-based companies identify and develop talent abroad in such a way that it not only contributes to the home economy, but enhances the overall global business climate is essential. we are seeking to identify and locate US American expatriates in managerial positions in Berlin, Frankfurt, and Munich to learn from their everyday life experiences of living and working abroad.

If you have anyone whom you feel would be helpful in moving this project forward, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, I live in Bielefeld and am willing to speak with anyone person or persons living in Berlin, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Munich or Stuttgart. Thank you for you time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Dellvin Williams

Cologne Forum

Our Global Partners