Join now

Getting a Residence Permit (Copenhagen)

Hi all! My name is Mandy and I'm from the United States. I'm planning a move to Denmark in the very near future. Actually, I'll be living in Odense, not Copenhagen.

I will (hopefully) be attending school at the Sydansk Universitet (University of Southern Denmark). I was thinking that pursuing a second Masters degree would allow me to adjust more gradually to the culture. I'm also thinking I can make some contacts that will be beneficial to me when it comes time to find employment.

I am moving for love, I guess...when it comes down to it. But I'm also moving in order to have a chance at a better life.

This residence permit business is tricky though! I'm really not sure how to go about things. I've read virtually all information that's posted online regarding the subject (I think) and I'm still confused.

I thought I'd post here in the hopes that someone might be able to offer some guidance.

Here's what I understand:

- I don't need a visa to stay for 3 months in Denmark and this is renewable once, so the total length of my stay without a permit can be up to 6 months.

-I can get a residence permit by finding employment or going to school. I think the school has to initiate the process (not ENTIRELY sure on this one)

-The residence permit is now biometric. The Embassy's webpage says that I have to make an appointment to go to New York to apply. This sounds complicated. But maybe it's something that's normally applied for while in Denmark? Or maybe there's a prescreening process that's not so complicated that can let me know whether or not I'm likely to qualify?

-Tuition might be free if I note that I intend to stay when I apply for the residence permit.

I feel that everything relies on timing here. I want to make the journey to Denmark as soon as possible, but I don't want my 6 months to run out before I can get a permit to stay.

My boyfriend is talking to the school in person soon to see if they can shine any light on the matter, but I also thought it might be good to ask in a place where people have likely had to go through what I'm going through now.

Thanks in advance! I'm just so confused right now.

-Mandy

Copenhagen Forum

Our Global Partners