Join now

Getting into a good secondary school (Cork)

We're an American family from Oregon, USA. My husband has Irish citizenship through ancestry; the rest of us don't. I can retire in July Protected content at that time we're seriously reconsidering moving to Ireland. Yes, we have loads of questions about housing and pets and lots of other domestics, but the most important question on our mind is this - Our youngest daughter, currently 14, wants to finish her high school education in Ireland. She's a smart, studious and serious student. She'd enter into the Irish secondary system in the Transition Year (she might be a bit older than the other students, but we can't see putting her into senior cycle right away). I have written to a handful of secondary schools, but have gotten little response back.

I'd love to hear from Expat families with kids in secondary schools that could make good recommendations on schools and how to get admitted. At this point, we want to have a serious dialogue and know she could get in; next fall we'd take a trip to Ireland to get things underway.

Cork Forum

Our Global Partners