Czech Republic

Moving to the Czech Republic?

Connect with fellow expats in the Czech Republic
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Czech Republic guides
Exchange tips about expat life in the Czech Republic

More Visa Info for the Czech Republic

The Czech Republic, a destination which boasts high living standards and plenty of culture, is a popular place for expats. From visa requirements to the best cities to settle in, our guide has everything you need to know about moving to the Czech Republic.
Make sure you’ve sorted out your visa and work permits before moving to the Czech Republic.

In addition to regular visas and work permits, the Czech Republic also offers two types of long-term permits which function as both residence and work permits: the EU blue card and the employee card. The former is an EU-wide permit facilitating access to the EU labor market for highly qualified individuals; the latter is aimed at nationals of certain non-European countries who can offer skills and qualifications needed in the Czech Republic.

New: The Employee Card for the Czech Republic

As of June 2014, the visa function formerly carried out by the green card in the Czech Republic has been taken over by the employee card. This visa is for third country nationals staying and working in the Czech Republic for an extended period of time. To be eligible for the employee card, the job you have been offered has to be listed in the country’s central records of vacancies. Usually a position only shows up on the registry if it couldn’t be filled by a candidate from within the Czech Republic or the EU.

The card acts as both a residence and a work permit. It is initially valid for a maximum period of two years, but you can apply for an extension at the Ministry of Interior. To apply for an employee card, you must apply at your nearest Czech embassy or consulate and supply the following documents:

  • a completed application form
  • a valid travel document
  • two recent passport-sized photographs
  • an employment contract
  • documents showing professional qualifications to do the job in question
  • application fee of 2,500 CZK
  • in some cases, a medical certificate and an extract from your penal register

The Blue Card — A Question of Supply and Demand

The EU blue card was introduced to provide EU countries with the possibility to compensate for skills shortages. If your skill set or qualifications are in demand in the Czech Republic, you can apply for a job listed in the register of vacancies eligible for blue cards; you can also check whether a job you have found elsewhere qualifies for a blue card. One condition is that your new gross annual salary must amount to at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary in the Czech Republic.

Blue cards are usually only granted for jobs where no suitable candidate could be found in the Czech Republic or in the EU. Applicants must have completed a higher (vocational) education, attending their respective educational institutions for at least three years. 

In addition to the documents needed to apply for an employee card, you must supply the following:

  • a signed employment contract for a job which requires high qualifications for a period of at least one year
  • if you work in a regulated profession, a document certifying compliance with the requirements for that job
  • proof of medical coverage for the period between the day you enter the country and the day you fall under the national health insurance
  • proof of accommodation (which must be notarized by a Czech notary)

A blue card is valid for the duration of your employment contract plus three months, but no longer than a maximum of two years. You should receive a decision from the Czech embassy within 90 days. The body where you applied for the blue card, be it the Czech Ministry of Interior or a Czech mission abroad, will contact you when your application has been successful to arrange an appointment for it to be picked up.

Registration of Foreigners

Non-EU citizens moving to Prague have to register at the Foreign Police Department or at an office of the Ministry of Interior within three working days of arrival. Within 30 working days of entering the country, all foreigners are required to register at either their local Foreigners’ Police Inspectorate or at an office of the Ministry of the Interior. The difference between EU and non-EU citizens is that EU citizens do not need a residency permit (but can get one if needed), while all others may need to apply for a long-term resident permit.

Prospective employee or blue card holders must also present themselves at an office of the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior to provide their biometric data within three days of arrival. This can be completed at the same time as registration. The card can be collected for a fee of 2,500 CZK paid in the form of revenue stamps, which can be purchased at the post office.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

Paul Zimmerer

"Over InterNations, I quickly got in touch with some business partners in Prague and other cities in the Eastern European market. "

Barbara Sciera

"Via Internations, I found the coziest venues and expat hang-outs in Prague - far away from the typical tourists traps."

Global Expat Guide

Top Articles Expat Guide