Join now

Canoe Trip - 2nd Attempt - June 26, 2010 (Dallas)

Views

Dear friends, every year I go down at least once to the Brazos river close to West, TX to canoe down the river to spend a lazy relaxing Saturday on the water... That is the way my last email started.... and then the river was running too fast... so now we try again... the date : June 26, Protected content . here are some more particulars (these may seem familiar to the people who read the last email ;-):
On occasion, I actually had to walk the canoe for a few feet/miles as the river was low, at other times there was no need to paddle as the current did all the work. Who knows what it will be this time around ? I will be leaving Dallas at around 7:30 to 8 AM on Saturday June 26th and drive down to Dick's Canoe Protected content . phone number is 254.622.8364. It is about a 1.5 to 2 hours drive. Then they will take us with the canoes up to the dam at Lake Whitney where we put in...and depending upon the weather and the current we should be back at Dick's at around 5:30 to 6 pm which puts you back into Dallas no later than 8 pm, unless you want to go to Scarborough Fair, which is on the way... So, if you want to join me on this trip, call the number on the website or in the email and tell Richard that you want to join the group of "Michael" and he will gladly take your credit card number for a reservation :-)....if you plan to join, drop me a note so that I know you will be coming....and maybe we can arrange for some car pooling or coordinate the snacks and libations (Ana and Geoff, you have shown the way last year :-). No fishing on this trip, just exuberant fun (my Texas fishing licence is expired). I talked to Dick a few minutes ago and right now the conditions are perfect.... as long as it is hot, they generate electricity so water is being released into the river... but if people stop running the A/Cs in their houses, the water level may drop and you may have to drag your canoes over the shallow spots - NO lifting required, however, walking on the rocky river bottom can be painful if you don't have decent shoes.... I love Crocs!!! and found them to be brilliant, but any old pair of sneakers will do. Sun tan lotion is a good choice and a some kind of head covering, I always bring a couple of towels and a change of clothes. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

On that note, my phone number did not change.... so in case you are interested.... my mobile number is Protected content is the best numbe rot reach me........ one of these days, I will actually have this whole telephone thing figured out...:-) All my other numbers are still working as well. And as always, if you don't want to be bothered by my e-mails drop me a note and I will remove you from the list.

Let us see, how many canoes we can fill!!!!

Michael

Dallas Forum

Our Global Partners