Join now

Moving to Dar (Dar es Salaam)

Hi, I am currently trying to decide if I accept a job in Dar es Salaam or not. The job would be a great opportunity but my wife and I need to decide whether it is worth moving ourselves and our two small children from Sydney. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First question is of course safety in Dar for our family. My wife and I travelled extensively in Asia, South America and Africa when we were a lot younger, so understand the normal precautions one would take when in a foreign country, but we have no real idea how safe Dar es Salaam is to live in.

Is it safe to do most things in the city during the day? Shopping; go to the beach; drop kids off a school; walk or drive to friends’ houses etc….

Secondly, what housing conditions are like. We by no means need luxury accommodation, but cannot seem to find too much on offer for a family of four on the internet.

Are there modern apartments or houses in complexes for rent in Dar? Where would I find more information on these? What is the best area to live with family with children?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Ben

Dar es Salaam Forum

Our Global Partners