Join now

Introducing Detroit Passport to the Arts

Dear Detroit InterNations Friends:

I have recently joined the Detroit chapter after being introduced to the group through my friends Sri Sriram and Ina Hudson. I love the energy of the people involved and although I'm American, I am a huge fan of world travel and a lover of all things cultural, including people from other cultures!

Sri and Ina are both board members of Detroit Passport to the Arts, a program I am also involved with. I see Henry often posts cultural events on Town Talk, so I would like to follow suit and introduce you to the passport program. I would love to see some InterNations friends involved this year!

Here is information on the program and this year's dates:

Detroit Passport to the Arts provides an introduction to the Detroit cultural scene for next generation audiences. With an affordable passport, DP2A offers an opportunity to experience Detroit and its culture with like-minded people. A passport provides access to six performances, including dance, opera, symphony, theatre, film and chamber music, followed by six social networking events.

Enjoy all the VIP benefits you would normally receive when purchasing a season pass to a single organization’s series, but instead of committing to just one series, you will enjoy a sampling of offerings by some of metro Detroit’s world-class arts organizations. This year's destinations include:

Destination #1: Mediterranean Sea on Friday, October 19 at 7:30pm
Michigan Opera Theatre presents Rossini’s quintessential Italian comedy The Barber of Seville, which boasts some of opera’s most recognizable music. The after-party features Italian vs. Spanish wine tasting and sweet sounds of the Mediterranean.

Destination #2: The Qube on Sunday, November 18 at 1:00pm
Detroit Chamber Winds & Strings presents Structurally Sound: Bits, Bytes, and ‘Bones at the Chase Bank lobby inside the Qube building in Detroit. The performance features trombonist Ken Thompkins and artists from Detroit's international techno world. The after-party features “bits and bytes” of food.

Destination #3: Cuba on Saturday, January 19 at 7:30pm
Eisenhower Dance Ensemble performs Red, Hot & Blue at the Detroit Opera House. With stunning technique and innovative choreography, EDE offers an eclectic and entertaining program by nationally renowned choreographers. The after-fiesta features spicy tastes of Cuba and rhythmic sounds of the salsa.

Destination #4: Hollywood Boulevard on an evening in February (Date TBD)
Detroit Film Theatre is the beautiful backdrop to a viewing of the ever-popular Oscar-Nominated short films. Vote for which films will win at the Oscars and dress up like a movie star for the red carpet. Enjoy a champagne reception.

Destination #5: Detroit on Saturday, March 23 at 8:00pm
Hilberry Theatre hosts a premiere production of Detroit, a new play by Lisa D’Amour. The comedic story of two pairs of suburban Detroit neighbors provides a fresh, off-beat look at the seductive moment when you dare to open yourself up to something or someone new.

Destination #6: Outer Space on Saturday, May 4 at 8:00pm
Detroit Symphony Orchestra presents The Planets, a seven-movement orchestral suite by English composer Gustav Holst. Each movement of the suite is named after a planet of the Solar System. Prepare for an after-party that is out-of-this-world!

The regular passport is only $125! There are also student, partner and patron passports available.

To buy a passport or learn more about the program visit dp2a.org

You may also feel free to contact me directly at Protected content

I have enjoyed meeting many of you and look forward to meeting more of you!

Natalie Bruno

Detroit Forum

Our Global Partners