Join now

Guide to Fitness / Cutting Fat / Supplements (Dubai)

I got some free time on my hand and alot of people here on this website and on other website have been asking loads of questions about fitness, and how to deal with their problems issues or what to do or how to etc.

So i have decided to guide members and anyone who wishes for a better fitness level or if anyone can take anything out of this guide.

Please also note, i am not a fitness trainer or a supplement seller hence the products that i may recommend are totally unbiased.

I will divide this guide in 3 parts -

Introduction
Supplementation
Diet

Introduction -

You are the only one responsible for your body - This is the “motivational” section that dispels some myths, shows that you are not alone if you are frustrated or confused, and helps you come to terms with reality.

"The drive for the ideal body" - Let me tell you something REAL. YOU CANNOT BE THE GUY / GIRL LIKE THE PICTURE ON THE MAGAZINE COVER - EVEN THAT GUY / GIRL CANNOT BE LIKE THE PICTURE ON THE MAGAZINE COVER - So stop looking at these magazines because all they do is photoshop and make look ugly to beautiful or something unrealistic.

Cutting can be one of the most frustrating fitness goals for anyone to tackle. The media portrays the ‘ideal’ male / female as a six pack wielding, tanning bed veteran, who had AMAZING results just by using the latest fat burner! But this is simply not true!

Why haven’t I seen results?
Want some good advice that you can do at this very moment? Stop, chill and relax. It’s not your fault if you haven’t been seeing the results that you’ve been promised. You’ll never find that ‘magic pill’. Supplement companies don’t tell you that their products are only a small piece of the puzzle. It’s easy to get caught in the whirlwind because there is a product for nearly every goal, promising to be better than the last. The purpose of this guide is to clear up
some of the confusion that surrounds the goal of fat loss.

What’s your body type?
One of the best things that you can do before you decide what approach you should take is to figure out what your body-type is. This isn’t an exact science, however identifying your general body type will give you some initial direction.

There are 3 terms of it, google it and you will know how to identify your body type -

Mesomorphs
Ectomorphs
Endomorphs

Somethings you need to remember before starting things up -
-Fat loss is a marathon, not a sprint
-Genetics are a huge factor
-Everyone responds differently to supplements
-Finally, Abs are made in a kitchen

If someone asks me how to build a six packs abs, i tell them go to the kitchen, how many times you need to train your abs - NONE !! NIL !! ZERO !!

SUPPLEMENTATION -
Protein: The building blocks of muscle -
A common misconception is that protein will add bulk, but this certainly isn’t the case, you won’t add bulk unless you are consuming surplus calories.

It won’t make you able to compete for the Olympics overnight, but you will notice improved recovery (reduced soreness) if you take it immediately after working out.

What protein should I choose? Isolate Vs Concentrate?
Does the first ingredient listed contain the word isolate or concentrate? Ideally, you want to choose a product that is primarily an isolate. Isolate is a purer, higher quality protein that will be more easily digested and utilized than the cheaper concentrate version.

Remember, Isolate = Ideal. Concentrate = Cheaper Compromise.

When should I take it?
Take a single serving about 15 minutes after your workout.

Also, many of your will be asking: “Should I have a shake after cardio?” This depends on the intensity and duration of the cardio session. Generally it isn’t necessary, but if it is a cardio session following your weight training or HIIT style cardio, then yes, it is advisable to have one at this time.

Fat Burners: Helping you Shred -
The more correct name for Fat Burners is Thermogenics.
They work by increasing the rate at which your body burns calories, helping put your body in a calorie deficit.

One downside is that many of these products contain high doses of stimulants. Several companies put stimulants in their thermogenics to help elevate the mood and mental alertness while cutting calories. Sometimes, an expensive bottle of caffeine is all you get. Your best bet is to look at the ingredient label.

Creatine: Adding endurance
Creatine is one of the most misunderstood supplements of all time. A victim of a negative media spin, many believe that creatine is a dangerous and steroid like supplement that carries serious adverse side effects.

I won’t give you a lecture on human anatomy, but I will do my best to explain how creatine works.

The energy that fuels muscles is called ATP. Creatine simply provides your body with more of this substance. This in turn will help allow you to complete a few more repetitions than you normally would, aiding in muscle growth. THATS IT !

-Creatine doesn’t affect hormone levels.
-Creatine doesnt cause kidney damage (dehydration does)
-Creatine doesnt make you gain weight

When should I take it?
When using some creatines, it is also recommended to have a loading phase. This means that you use a higher dosage of the product for the first week or so to saturate the levels of creatine in your system before lowering it down to the normal ‘maintenance’ level. Once again, follow the directions of the label of your product.

Multivitamins: Oh yes this one is a MUST
Taking a multivitamin is a good way to cover all of your bases. A multivitamin won’t necessarily make you lose weight, but if you aren’t providing your body with all of its essential vitamins and minerals, it can severely hurt the fat loss process. Also, one common question that we get is “What if my pee is neon yellow? Does that mean I’m peeing it out?” This is a good question and isn’t an uncommon occurrence. This doesn’t mean that you are necessarily ‘wasting’ your multivitamin, it just means that there were some excess B vitamins. To help ensure that you’re getting the most out of your multivitamin, make sure to consume it with a meal that contains a modest amount of fats (at least Protected content to help with absorption.

DIET: YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
Supplement companies will portray the idea that their products are the end all to your fitness goals. In real life, there is no
magic supplement (as i said earlier). Supplements are just that: a way of ‘supplementing’ your current efforts of transforming your body and improving your health. THATS IT, your real deal is your diet.

The first step is to estimate your basal metabolic rate using one of the formulas below:

Ectomorphs – bodyweight x Protected content
Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15
Endomorphs – bodyweight x Protected content

Example for a 200lb mesomorph: Protected content 15 = 3,000 calories per day. This is called your basal metabolic rate. In order to lose weight, you must eat below this number, and a good starting point is a deficit of Protected content , so that means that you would aim for 2,500 calories.

Where should I get my calories?
Calories come from 3 sources. Carbs, Protein and Fat.
-Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram
-Protein has 4 calories per gram
-Fat has 9 calories per gram

First Step: Protein. We want a little more protein in our diet
when cuttin g to help maintain muscle mass. Here is how to estimate how much protein you should be eating:
-Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 1.3
-Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 1.6
-Endomorphs – bodyweight x 1.5

Please calculate your weight in lbs :)

So, in this case our Protected content mesomorph example would need
260 grams of protein per day.

Next: Fat. So if our subject needs Protected content of protein, that means that 1,040 calories are going to come from protein.

So, if he needs a total of 2,500 calories and 1,040 of them are coming from protein, that means that 1,460 calories are going to come from carbohydrates and fats.

Fats will once again vary depending on your body type:
-Mesomorphs – 20% of total calories
-Ectomophs – 25% of total calories
-Endomorphs – 28% of total calories

Our Mesomorph with 2,500 calories would need to consume Protected content from fats, and at 9 calories per gram, that means a total of 55 grams per day.

Remainder: Carbs. The remaining calories are for carbohydrates. Our example has 2,500 – Protected content Protected content = Protected content remaining. Divide that by 4 (calories per gram of carbs) and his total would be Protected content of carbs per day.

Yes, this can be a tricky calculation, but who said nutrition is easy? I understand that you may have questions, so if you need assistance in figuring out your individual formula, don’t hesitate to ask for help in the forum :)

Foods should I be eating?
Some examples -

Protein:
Skinless Chicken
Lean Cuts of Beef
Low/fat free Cheese
Skinless Turkey
Eggs (Balance your servings of whole eggs vs. whites only)
Tuna

Carbohydrates:
Ezekiel Bread
Steel Cut Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Beans
Fruits (Limit to Protected content per day)
Vegetables (Green Leafy vegetables are best)

Fats:
Nuts such as: Almonds, Walnuts, Peanuts
Natural Nut Butters (Almond/Peanut)
Flax Seed Oil
Fatty Fishes (i.e. Salmon)
Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
Egg Yolks
Omega 3 Supplements (i.e. Fish Oil)

There you go, now you have your guide to fitness and some understanding about how fitness works :)

Stay focused on your goals, and keep in mind that it is a marathon, not a sprint! Results will take time.

Regards,
Frank Mueller

Dubai Forum

Our Global Partners