To provide finance support for the Continental Europe and Middle East and Africa (CEMEA) Corporate Network, Industry & Management Research, and Portfolio Marketing businesses.
• To produce the monthly management accounts for CEMEA Economist Corporate Network, IMR, and Portfolio Marketing, and explain and review them with the CEMEA Business Finance management team.
• To account for and explain the CEMEA brand marketing and client marketing costs
• To reconcile on a monthly basis all of the relevant balance sheet accounts, including "owning" the balance sheet set up for the Swiss company
• Preparing all the accruals and prepayments each month for direct costs, marketing costs, and overheads, including the accruals for sales commissions, business bonuses etc.
• Preparing the actual sales commission calculations for approval and sending to payroll
• Preparing the transfer pricing journals for the Swiss company for tax purposes
• Ensuring that all of the finance processing has been completed properly.
• Pulling reports off the QSS systems for Portfolio Marketing revenues and posting the revenues to the accounts
• Complete the accounting work needed to close down the Vienna company
• To ensure that effective financial controls are in operation throughout the CEMEA Economist Corporate Network, IMR, and Portfolio Marketing businesses
• Financial planning, analysis, and advice
• To support the business heads and business managers in preparing the annual budgets, rolling forecasts, and longer-term plans for the CEMEA Economist Corporate Network, IMR, and Portfolio Marketing businesses
• To update business performance trackers and key performance indicators used to monitor business progress, and provide finance support for business review meetings
• To prepare investment and other analyses as required, and provide financial advice as required to the business heads and managers
• Education and training
• Professionally qualified accountant
• Fluent in English and preferably also in French
• Previous work experience
• Experience working in business partnership type role preferable
• Experience of publishing industry preferable but not essential
• Strong technical finance skills
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
• Experience using Peoplesoft or similar accounting package
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and ability to communicate effectively with business and finance people in many different offices in CEMEA
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent organization and planning skills
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision locally
• Good analytical and problem solving skill
• A team player who understands the bigger picture and impact of decisions
• Self motivator
• Interpersonal skills
• Comfortable working with staff at various levels with an organisation and with external contacts