Join now

Geneva vs. Lausanne for kids

I will start a new job at WIPO on Sept 19. My office is close to the Geneva gare so commuting into work par train would be very convenient.

For languages, we should be okay with French speaking schools, especially with the 2 year old. We have two daughters - 4.5 and 2. Both children are fluent in English. The 2 year old has been getting exclusively French (no English) from me since birth, exclusively Spanish from our primary babysitter, and English from her mother. The 4.5 year old has been hearing me speak to the 2 year old, listening to French songs and some French books since birth. With help from Muzzy (BBC language program for kids) for about a month, they are both ramping up very quickly.

Our main concern is finding an EXCELLENT (relatively free) public school for our 4.5 yr old daughter.

Our other priorities (not as important but nice to have) - quality of life, walk to shops and market, and international community. We would ideally like to experience the stereotypical French lifestyle of being able to walk to everything we need. We have been to Geneva for a Protected content visit. It didn't seem to match the stereotypical French lifestyle we are seeking.

We are avid mountain bikers and skiers and enjoy almost all outdoor activities.

Geneva Forum

Our Global Partners