Working in Geneva?

Connect with fellow expats in Geneva
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Geneva guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Geneva

Insurance and Work Permits for Geneva

There are plenty of things you’ll need to know if you are preparing to work as an expat in Geneva: Do I need Swiss health insurance? Who requires an work permit? What about social security? You will find the answers to these questions (and more) in our guide to working in Geneva.

Health Insurance — It’s for Everyone

The public health insurance system in Switzerland is based on compulsory individual contributions to a health insurance provider of your choice. Everyone residing in Switzerland for a period exceeding three months must register with an accredited health insurance provider in Switzerland. The Service de l’assurance maladie of the Canton of Geneva offers a list of all authorized insurers in the area.

No public health insurance provider can refuse you on grounds of pre-existing conditions or chronic illness. While there are various packages available, all insurers are obliged to offer one basic tariff to everyone. Tariffs for the Canton of Geneva can also be compared on the website of the Service de l’assurance maladie.

Insurance Contributions for Expats

As opposed to other forms of social insurance, the Swiss public health insurance is not partly financed by employer contributions. Every person is individually responsible for paying their own full health premium.

EU/EFTA citizens may be exempt from compulsory Swiss health insurance if they are still covered by the health insurance system of their usual country of residence. It is the duty of the cantonal health authority in Geneva to inform every new resident about their obligation to take out insurance.

Expats who have reasons to believe they may be exempted from Swiss health insurance should address any such requests to the Service de l’assurance maladie.

You can learn more about Swiss health insurance from our in-depth guide on Health and Insurance in Switzerland.

How to Get a Work Permit

Every foreigner working in Geneva must have a valid work and residence permit, with the single exception of EU/EFTA residents whose stay does not exceed three months.

There are still some restrictions for Bulgarians, Romanians, and Croatians who want to work in Switzerland. However, all other EU nationals don’t need a special permit for short-term work assignments. They must, however, be registered with the Federal Office for Migration by their employer. You can find the online registration for EU /EFTA nationals on short-term work assignments on the website of the State Secretariat for Migration.

For all work contracts lasting more than three months, the employer must obtain a work permit for the potential employee. This does not pose a problem for most EU/EFTA nationals — with the exceptions just mentioned above.

However, getting a work permit is particularly difficult if the candidate is a third-state national. There are strict limits on the annual numbers of work and residence permits granted to non-EU nationals every year. Even within these limits, the employer has to prove that no Swiss or EU citizen was able or willing to fill the post and that the salary and working conditions associated with the job conform to Geneva standards.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.

Nathan Reed

"UNO, WHO, IKRK, WTO -- I really appreciate the humanitarian and professional networking events for InterNations expats in Geneva… "

Amanda Miller

"InterNations and the amazing events around here helped me get my bearings in an expat hotspot like Geneva. "

Global Expat Guide