Join now

Job ideas and tips for an English speaking student (Gent)

Views

Hi everyone! (sorry, this might be a bit of a long post!)

I'm moving to Gent (city center) at the beginning of June (from Atlanta) to be with my boyfriend and to attend Gent University in September. I will be taking a post graduate course in Dutch and Translation. I'm currently looking into getting a part-time job of some sort once I move to Gent, but I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm 21, I only speak English fluently (a bit of Spanish too), and I can understand a tiny bit of French. I'll also be on a student visa, which means that I can only work 20 hours a week or less.

I would ideally like to look into nannying, babysitting, or petsitting for a few hours a week, as I've had a little bit of experience with that and I love children. I have a younger brother and my mother is a teacher, so I've grown up helping her care for children after school and for my brother's friends.

I majored in Anthropology in University and have worked as a Student Assistant in the university department. That required me to learn basic office/secretarial skills. I worked as a hostess in a restaurant before that.

I'm a generally friendly, upbeat person, and I easily make friends and get along with others. So, if anyone has an idea for me, I would love to hear it! Any other advice about moving to Gent as a student would be beneficial as well.

Thanks so much!

Gent Forum

Our Global Partners