Join now

Considering Georgetown

Greetings,

My family and I are looking at a working opportunity in Guyana. I was wondering if the expat community in GT could answer some of my questions so that we can make an informed decision about a pending move. I have 2 young children Protected content 18 months - so suitability for them is of the upmost importance to me. My questions are:

1. The cost to live in GT as a family - is it reasonable for housing, utilities, IT connection etc.?

2. Safety - in the city is it safe to go around as a family on weekends and in the evenings as we are not interested in being in a place/community that we cannot move around freely and be apart of the local scene and pulse to enjoy life.

3. Childcare and young children services? Any insights?

4. Things to do - are there things to do and places to go as a family? I have been told that GT is "chilled" but I have no idea what that means. Is it uneventful with not much to do or are there interesting opportunities to take in?

I have a few pending job offers in other regions - Asia and the Med/Middle East - but I have been also offered a post in GT, Guyana and I have never been there so I am gathering knowledge and information to make an informed decision as best as I can.

Thx for your assistance - any insights are appreciated, especially from expat families with young children.

Kelly

Georgetown Forum

Our Global Partners