Join now

From Denmark-Glasgow, need info on benefits etc

Hello everyone. I recently joined the Internations community here.

I am hoping to be able to move to Glasgow to be with my boyfriend, as we have been together for almost three years and we are starting to consider how we can live together.

But it is a very big decision, and I need to find as much information as I can about certain things before I'll be able to decide that moving is what is best.

Specifically, I need some information on the benefits system. I am 25 years old, and I have an Autism Spectrum Diagnosis (PDD-NOS) which means that I have trouble with managing to work. Through lots of theraphy, trial and error and special programs I have been able to work Protected content a week here in Denmark but the things I qualify for here is not some I can bring with me at all abroad. But because of the special conditions and extra care I am given when I work here in Denmark, I am not expecting I'll be able to work in Glasgow at all unless similar programs exist - and that means I'll be looking at seeing if there's any form of benefit I'd be able to claim so that I do not have to rely 100% on my boyfriends income. As much as I loathe the idea of being a burden on society, it's a reality I have to accept.

If anyone has any links or information that is good to know I would much appreciate it. I have been wondering if I need to stay in the UK for an amount of time before I can claim benefits, because that would factor in with how much money I need to save up before going.

Secondly if anyone knows any autism support groups, networks and places with professional help I would also love information about that. I am well off in terms of being able to take care of myself, but in case of a crisis or similar it would be good to know where I'd be able to turn to if I needed help.

Thank you in advance!

Glasgow Forum

Our Global Partners