Join now
Log in Join

Need expat info for United Kingdom?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Getting Married in the UK with relevant information for expats.

Jan-Peter van Tijk

Living in the UK, from the Netherlands

"I wish I'd found InterNations sooner: It would have made my first few month as an expat in London much less overwhelming."

Therese Yeboah

Living in the UK, from Ghana

"For me, the InterNations events are the best part. I attend almost every get-together and always get to know lots of friendly fellow expats."

InterNations - a community of trust

Family, Children & Education

Getting Married in the UK

Are you looking forward to celebrating your marriage in the UK? Congratulations! But before you can enjoy your special day, you must take care of the practical issues. Our expat guide explains what to keep in mind: from general requirements, over same-sex partnerships, to spouse visas, and more.

Close to Home: Religious Marriage Ceremonies

A religious ceremony is mostly possible only for heterosexual couples in the UK. If you want to be married by a member of the Anglican clergy in the Church of England or the Church of Wales, it may not be necessary to involve the local register office. The vicarage usually takes care that your marriage is legally valid and officially recognized. However, if you want to make sure, you can follow up on the process by getting in touch with the register office after your wedding.

Practicing believers of other faiths should talk to the person in charge of marriage ceremonies at their place of worship. Depending on the stance of the relevant religious organization, they might have decided to opt in religious ceremonies for same-sex couples (the Anglican Church has not). However, according to the Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Act 2013, religious associations are explicitly exempt from having to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony. They can do so, if they want, but the act refers solely to marriage as a secular, civil institution.

If you are planning a religious ceremony, you usually have to live in the same district as the place of worship. You also have to give formal notice at the register office, as described on the previous page.

Legal Rights and Responsibilities: What’s Mine Is Yours

The legal consequences of a valid marriage or civil partnership are more or less identical for heterosexual and same-sex couples. This (mostly) equal treatment extends to a broad range of legal issues, e.g.:

All these areas will be affected once you get married or enter into a civil partnership. Same-sex couples who entered into a civil partnership before 2014 can also have their status changed to “married” in England and Wales.

Same-sex couples, like unmarried couples regardless of sexual orientation, can also file for joint adoption of a child in England, Scotland, and Wales, as long as they meet the other criteria of the adoption process (e.g. British citizenship or the right to reside permanently in the country). In Northern Ireland, the situation is rather different. In June 2013, the Court of Appeal in Belfast ruled that same-sex couples in civil partnerships should be able to adopt children

To learn more about the parenting options of same-sex couples living in the UK, please consult the Lesbian and Gay Foundation UK or

The Red Tape: Non-EU Nationals with Immigrant Status

Speaking of immigration purposes: What does “subject to immigration control” mean and how does it impact your right to enter into a marriage/civil partnership in the UK?

If you are “subject to immigration control”, British authorities consider you an immigrant and treat you accordingly. You have to put up with far more red tape before you can get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

As mentioned on the first page, you are not “subject to immigration control” if one of the following criteria applies to you:

But if you don’t fall into these categories, getting married in the UK means having to face a few additional obstacles. If you do not live in the UK yet, you need a visa first.

Fiancé(e) Visa for Visitors

If you live abroad, merely want to have your marriage / civil partnership ceremony in the UK and then leave the country again, you can apply for a “fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner visitor entry clearance”. In short, this is a special type of visa that allows you to come to Great Britain or Northern Ireland and get married there.

You and your future partner need to be at least 18 years of age. If you also fulfill the following requirements, you can apply for this special visa at the nearest British embassy or consulate.

However, if you don’t intend to stay in the UK, you should be aware that civil partnerships or marriages for same-sex couples may not be recognized in your home country or your next destination.

Spouse Visa

A different kind of “fiancé(e) / proposed civil partner entry clearance” is commonly known as a “spouse visa”. It allows you to enter the country and stay in the UK after you got married. However, it is harder to obtain than a visitor visa for getting married in the UK.

To qualify for this spouse visa, you need to meet the following criteria:

After the ceremony, your “spouse visa” is usually valid for another six months. You then need to apply for permission to remain as a husband, wife, or civil partner. If granted, this permission is valid for two years. You are now officially allowed to take up gainful employment.

At the end of these two years, you can apply for “Indefinite Leave to Remain”, provided you are still married. This procedure will grant you the right to stay in the UK for as long as you want. Until a few years ago, non-EU nationals wishing to get married and live in the UK were required to apply for a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office. However, this measure was abolished in 2011.

But as a foreign national who is “subject to immigration control”, there is still one thing to keep in mind: You and your partner must give notice of your planned marriage together. Moreover, you can only do so in person, and at certain designated register offices, in England and Wales.

Mr. & Mrs.… Changing Your Name

Now that your marriage or civil partnership is official, you may think about changing your name. There are several options for couples in the UK.

In some of these cases, the name change may require a so-called Deed Poll. This is a legal document binding one or both partners to use their new name exclusively from now on. Please ask the register office, as well as a specialist agency or solicitor, for advice. If you are an expat and want to return to your home country at some point, you should also find out if the planned name change will be valid there.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

InterNations Expat Magazine