Join now
Log in Join

Need expat info for United Kingdom?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Applying For A UK Residence Permit with relevant information for expats.

Jan-Peter van Tijk

Living in the UK, from the Netherlands

"I wish I'd found InterNations sooner: It would have made my first few month as an expat in London much less overwhelming."

Therese Yeboah

Living in the UK, from Ghana

"For me, the InterNations events are the best part. I attend almost every get-together and always get to know lots of friendly fellow expats."

InterNations - a community of trust

Visa & Administration

Applying For A UK Residence Permit

If you reside in the UK for more than six months at a time, you may need a UK residence permit. This guide offers you a brief overview of UK residence permits, permanent residency, and derivative residence rights, and tells you where to turn if you need more information.

Applying for a Biometric Residence Permit

Expats who want to extend their stay past six months will require a biometric UK residence permit which holds biographic details and biometric information. Please remember that you can only apply for this permit if you want to:

You can submit your application to extend your stay online or by post. Once the UK Border Agency has received your documents, they will send you a notification letter. You can then visit any post office in the UK to register your biometric information. Alternatively, you can visit a public enquiry office. Please remember that, either way, it may take up to twelve weeks until your residence permit application is processed.

If you find that any of the information on you biometric residence card is not correct, you should get in touch with the UK Border Agency within 10 days. Otherwise, you will have to pay for a replacement. Contact the UK Border Agency for more information.  

Permanent Residence for European Citizens

After five years, expats from EEA member states can apply for a permanent UK residence permit. You can apply for a permanent UK residence permit by completing the application documents and paying an application fee of 65 GBP for each individual on the application. This is what you need to submit for a successful application:

Please remember that it can take the UK Border Agency up to six months to process your application, so plan ahead and try to be patient. Once your application has been approved, you will receive a registration certificate that proves you have the legal right to reside in the UK. This is important if you want to act as a sponsor or want to support a family member who is not an EEA national in their application for a residence card.

Derivative Rights of Residence: Do You Qualify?

Although non-EEA citizens usually do not qualify for a UK residence permit, you may still have “derivative rights of residence”. This might be the case even if you do not fall under the free movement directive. You qualify for derivative rights of residence if

Please remember that you are only eligible to stay in the UK while you meet the above requirements. If your situation changes, you may lose your derivative right of residence.

You can apply for your derivative residence card, which grants you the right to work and reside in the UK, by submitting the following:

You will need to provide an official translation for any documents not written in Welsh or English. You can submit your application documents by mail. If you are unsure about your application or whether you qualify, please contact the UK Border Agency.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

InterNations Expat Magazine