Join now

Group for live electronic music/video/art (Guangzhou)

Hi all, just want to spread the word about a new group I'm starting in GZ for live electronic music and art -- that is, performances with computers, interactive art installations, and whatever other media we want to play with. You could think of it like a hacker space for music and video (initially, more focus on software than hardware, but in the long term, this will be open-ended).

First meeting: Sunday, July 13, 4 pm at Loft Protected content Jiangnanxi metro)

We will begin learning the SuperCollider programming language for music and audio. This is the first step in working toward a group performance in fall/winter Protected content .

We will dig into the nuts and bolts of the technology, but no experience is required -- just an open mind, willingness to learn, and a computer to play around on. I will teach SuperCollider from ground zero. (SuperCollider is free software, so no expense there - Windows, Mac and Linux are supported.) It's not necessary to have a music or art background -- to be interested and willing to play is enough.

My background: I'm a composer, now teaching electronic music at Xinghai Conservatory here in GZ. For the last 12 years, I've been using SuperCollider to create computer pieces for concert and club performance, including danceclub-influenced tracks, modern-classical pieces for instruments and computer, and electronic music for modern dance. Starting a group like this, and promoting live electronic media, is one of my reasons for moving to China...

PM me if interested... also feel free to distribute to anyone you think might be interested in doing unexpected things with computers.

Thanks!
James

Guangzhou Forum

Our Global Partners