Join now

Moving to Guatemala, Would really like some advice (Guatemala City)

Hi Everyone! I'm new here to this forum and was wondering if anyone could provide any advice. I would really appreciate it!!

My fiance and I are planning on moving to Guatemala soon. He has some personal concerns and would also like to visit his family since he hasn't been able to visit them in many years. Anyways, I'm a college student here in LA and we're expecting our first baby in August of this year. I've never traveled anywhere outside California besides to visit family in Guadalajara, Mexico. So I'm very nervous about our decision in moving to Guatemala.
I am studying to become a teacher and have worked in Customer Service and Admin positions, as well as in teaching assistant and behavior intervention positions. One of my main concerns is that I'm not sure how difficult it would be for me to get a job once we are there. What should I bring along as far as school documents in case they may ask?
Protected content concern is the location. I would like any advice in regards to which location would be best as far as raising a young family, job opportunities, safety, exploring the city, daycare, schools, etc.? We were thinking of Antigua, and his family is close to Quetzaltenango and Totonicapan area, so I'm not sure which area is better. I would also appreciate any advice for my family in relocating to Guatemala, especially since I'm American and I'm not sure how safe several regions are. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Guatemala City Forum

Our Global Partners