Join now

Public health insurance second increase 2016 (Hamburg)

Public health insurance premiums to potentially increase again in Protected content

HI everyone,
I am updating a post that I wrote on Facebook earlier this year about the public health insurance premium increase....so here it is in InterNations..........
According to the public health insurance companies, they are going to make, or are at least expecting to make huge losses in Protected content . This is, for the most part, largely due to the fact that all of the Refugees flooding into Germany are basically overloading the system for health support and care, and are therefore causing massive financial loss for all of the public health insurances. Therefore the Zusatzbeitrag/extra premium will almost definitely increase again in Protected content . I can't obviously tell you when, as the public health insurance don't know this either (at the moment) but as soon as they do, I will let you all know.
Again here, anybody who after reading (or re-reading) my post below, is eligible to change over to private health insurance, (and that it also makes sense to do so,) then it is well worth considering now. The public health insurance premiums are going to rocket upwards in the next few years.
You heard it here first :o)))
thx

REMINDER::::Public health insurance premiums to increase in Protected content

I'm posting this again just to remind you all not to be surprised when you find out (if you are in public health insurance) that your health insurance premium has increased.
Thx.

HI guys, here I am again with what I hope is a bit of helpful information for you all.

As the title states, public health insurance premiums are going to increase in Protected content .
Firstly, the earnings cap or Beitragsbemessungsgrenze in the public health insurance will increase from €4125per month to €4237.50per month.
That means that anyone earning over that amount, your public health insurance premiums will increase twice effectively.
Let me show you an example:-
This year Protected content , a single person (no children) who earns €4500per month pays the following into the public health insurance system:-
Public health insurance contribution (employees share) 7.3% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of € Protected content month = €301.13
Public health insurance extra premium or Zusatzbeitrag contribution (employee to pay for this themselves) average 0.9% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of € Protected content month = €37.13
Long term nursing care insurance contribution or Pflegeversicherungsbeitrag (employees share, no children and over 23 years old) 1.425% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of € Protected content month = €58.78.
That’s an employee’s total of €397.04 per month.
The employer’s public health insurance share is 7.3% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4125per month (€301.13) and their share of the long term nursing care would be 1.175% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of € Protected content
That’s a grand total of €746.91 per month that is paid to the public health insurance.

Now, let’s take Protected content the new example:-
In Protected content , a single person (no children) who earns €4500per month pays the following into the public health insurance system:-
Public health insurance contribution (employees share) 7.3% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4237.50 per month = €309.34
Public health insurance extra premium or Zusatzbeitrag contribution (employee to pay for this themselves) will increase to an average of 1.1% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4237.50 per month = €46.61
Long term nursing care insurance contribution or Pflegeversicherungsbeitrag (employees share, no children and over 23 years old) 1.425% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4237.50 per month = €60.38
That’s an employee’s total of €416.33 per month. (An increase of €19.29per month)
The employer’s public health insurance share is 7.3% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4237.5per month (€309.34) and their share of the long term nursing care would be 1.175% of the monthly salary up to the earnings cap of €4237.50 (€49.79)
That’s a grand total of €775.46 per month that is paid to the public health insurance. (A total increase of €28.55 per month)

Any of you who are in public health insurance and have children, then the long term nursing care calculation is slightly less for you guys. Your contribution will be 1.175% up to the maximum of €4237.50

Those of you who earn under the maximum €4237.50 won’t be affected so drastically. Only the Zusatzbeitrag (extra premium) will go up to 1.1% of your monthly salary. The rest will remain the same.

For those of you who earn over the €4237.50 per month and are publicly insured, it “might” be a good idea to look into the possibility of changing over to private health insurance. This however needs to be discussed thoroughly before a decision can be made of course.

As usual, if any of you need any help or further information, just PM me and I will help wherever I can.

Thx to all
Glyn

P.S. Any of you who are in the public health system as employees and are thinking about going self-employed or freelance, then you have to be aware that (logically) the employers share of your public health insurance falls away and you are then responsible for the whole amount. Earn over €4237.50 per month as a self-employed / freelancer and you will be paying €775.46 per month for your health insurance in the public system.

2016. Monthly public health insurance premiums as a freelancer / self-employed person;. Premium examples
Earnings of € Protected content month :- €352.96 per month
Earnings of € Protected content month :- €415per month
Earnings of € Protected content month :- €498per month
Earnings of € Protected content month :- €664per month

Hamburg Forum

Our Global Partners