Join now

Jobs that don't require Finnish or Driving skills (Helsinki)

I am currently living in Espoo, in the Uusimaa area.

Hey guys,

I moved to Finland in July this year. I had been in work since January saving money up from my job with the British Government and I moved to Finland on my own after my temporary contract ended with my last job.

I tried to register as an EU citizen on grounds other than work, as I didn't have a job when I came over, however the immigration service has said I cannot register unless I find a job, as I don't meet the requirements for other grounds. This means I cannot get a person number either.

This year has been a very difficult year for me emotionally and the pandemic has not even registered in the top 5 causes of stress for me in this year, so I haven't been the most efficient person when it comes to finding work, but I am a fit and capable worker, and was commended for my quality of work by my manager and many of my colleagues in my previous job role. Previously I worked in diesease control for livestock animals, overseeing the England area.

I will take the first job that's offered that satisfies the immigration service's requirements. I know work will not be easy, but I want the routine and security of being in a job much more than to be in the current situation of uncertainty that I am in.

I mainly want to live here because I have ties with friends in Finland and ties with family members in the EU, and I want to try and make it here in the EU since the situation with the UK, Brexit, and the pandemic at the moment leaves things so uncertain. I feel like I will have more security here in what I want to do with my life in Finland. One of my goals is to train to become an electrical engineer and to provide the work where it's needed in Europe. In the past, I did customer service, contact centre work, and hospitality work, and did a work experience placement as a mover for furniture.

I do intend to study the Finnish language with great attention and to apply for Finnish Citizenship after 5 years, however, my first priority is finding whatever employment contract I can, to secure my residency here first. I currently have no income and am living on savings from my last job and also a few thousand from inheritance. I have previously spent six months last year learning Finnish as a hobby, and have visited many places here in Finland to experience more of the culture; Helsinki, Turku, Jyväskylä, Hämeenlinna to name a few. I have tried to solicit services from lawyers to help me work out another way to secure my stay, however I have not had any joy with that. I need a job or I can't make it work here, and will have to leave at the end of the year. I have many friends in Finland who hope that things will work out for me, but they don't have the connections to help me find work. Can anyone here suggest anything that is suitable?

Helsinki Forum

Our Global Partners