Join now

Report on Train ride South - North on Feb 2016 (Ho Chi Minh City)

Read full report with pictures here:
Protected content

Situation: I took the train to go back to my hometown for Lunar New Year holiday. Since it’s the biggest, longest holiday of the country so the commuting demand is very high. That is the reason people have to book the tickets long time in advance to be able to go back.

I booked ticket online on website on Dec 6, Protected content .
The ticket was 1,266,000 VND soft seat mode for one person.
It can be purchased directly at train station or via bank transfer.
I selected SE4 train – the current fastest train.

It took 30 hours to ride from Sai Gon to Nam Dinh, from 10pm of Feb 7, Protected content 4am of Feb 9, Protected content . Note that Feb 8, Protected content the first day of the Lunar New Year; so I was on the train in the most emphasis time of the year.

Each passenger can carry 20kg luggage if they buy full ticket (probably imply long journey/distance ticket) but no one check the weight of luggage so far.

Each passenger can include one child aged under 6 years old or height is under 1.12m, from 2nd child, same price with Protected content children. Children Protected content old or height is under 1.32m can get discount 50%.
Because of it, there were a couple of husband and wife brought their two sons with them, and the husband sit on a plastic chair to leave the seat for his sons.

Around 10:19 the train passed by a bridge on a river. Then passed by Thu Duc district

On the train, there are shelf/rack for people put their luggages. There are hangers for shirts, bags, helmets. There are electric sockets for recharging phones, tablets. At the back of each chair has a foldable table go with the chair for people to put their food & drink. The chairs in the carriage are arranged oppositely with one table in the middle. I was at seat no.5 and from Ho Chi Minh city to Da Nang, I was facing same direction of the moving direction, from Da Nang to Nam Dinh, I was facing opposite direction of the moving direction.

10:33pm food trolley passed by to sell boiled eggs: Protected content for one piece of boiled industrial chicken egg and Protected content for one piece of boiled balut.

We passed by Amber Court building around 10:44 pm and arrived at Bien Hoa station, Dong Nai by 10:47 pm.
10:50 pm, train conductor gave free wet tissue and bread for passengers.
11pm onward, train passed by many dragon fruits gardens/farms. All those farms were lighten up for the tree make the fruits faster.