Join now

EARTHQUAKE ALERT FOR HONG KONG (Hong Kong)

Views

EARTHQUAKE ALERT TO HONG KONG PEOPLE ! ! !
FREQUENCY OF LOCALLY FELT EARTHQUAKES HAD RECENTLY INCREASED !

25TH SEPTEMBER Protected content

Protected content

Dozens of Hongkongers have said that they felt a 3.8-magnitude earthquake that struck China’s Guangdong province late Thursday night.

The Hong Kong Observatory says it received “over 40” reports from local residents who felt tremors from the earthquake that struck the city of Shanwei at 10:57pm.

The epicentre of the quake was approximately Protected content south-west of Shantou and about Protected content north-east of Hong Kong.

Local reports of the jolts referred to “minor shaking” that lasted just a few seconds, and were not accompanied by any damage or injuries.

Earthquakes with a magnitude of 4.0 on the Richter scale typically cause “noticeable shaking of indoor objects and rattling noises” but generally lead to little or no damage, although some objects may fall off shelves or be knocked over.

10TH NOVEMBER (TODAY !!! Protected content

Protected content

There were no reports of any damage or casualties as a result of the 2.8-magnitude quake, which struck in the middle of the afternoon around 30 kilometres north of Hong Kong, near Shenzhen.

"Quite a number of local residents from various parts of the territory reported to have felt this tremor,'' the Hong Kong Observatory, the city's meteorological agency, said in a statement.

The quake lasted several seconds, it added.

The jolt was felt in the northern New Territories, home to the Hong Kong Golf Club, which is hosting an international tournament this week.

"I bent over on the 14th tee and wondered what it was,'' said world No 14 Ian Poulter, the clubhouse leader after the second round of the Hong Kong Open. "I was just about to peg my ball up so I did feel a little tremor. It just felt tiny. It was a bit strange but it didn't put me off."

Hong Kong Forum

Our Global Partners