Join now

New Coffee Shop in the EastEnd (Houston)

A space-themed coffee shop called Giant Leap Coffee just landed in the East End serving vegan food along with its variety of coffee offerings.

The shop, from self-proclaimed coffee nerd Logan Beck and co-owner Lauren Ferrante, promises “One small sip for man...” and well, Houston knows the rest.

“We chose the name Giant Leap mostly for Space City,” Beck told Eater. “As a native Houstonian, that’s what I’m most proud of. I love space and sci-fi.”

The theme extends to the interior design of the shop at Protected content St., with its industrial elements and futuristic faceted ceiling — a custom buildout completed by Beck’s design and fabrication firm Rootlab. The Protected content space also features a European-inspired stand-up bar and seating for 20.
Beans are supplied by Amaya Roasting Co. and Catalina Coffee, where Beck was a regular before opening his own spot. Breakfast tacos courtesy of El Topo, juice from Revolucion, and pastries from Angela’s Oven in the Heights are all trucked in each morning. Giant Leap also offers salads and wraps (including vegan options), kombucha and beers on tap, bottled brews, and a selective wine assortment.

“Coffee is a love of mine, and something I’d been wanting to get into for the past six or seven years,” Beck says. “We slogged through Harvey and the permitting, it added six weeks to the project, lots of stuff set us back. But we still got it all done within about a year. We didn’t cut any corners. If I’m going to do something, I want it to be as good as it can possibly be.”

Giant Leap is open for business Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. Protected content . at Protected content St.

Houston Forum

Our Global Partners