Join now

Four Seasons Hotel construction on top of historic (Istanbul)

Hi,

I don't know if anyone heard about this, Recently Four Seasons Hotel started to add new blocks to the existing hotel in Istanbul on top of ancient ruins of East Roman Empire. I think it is a crime
Eminönü Municipality gave them permission, I wonder why!!

Now they have halted the construction. I was thinking more people know about this, better it is so maybe protesting, sending mails protesting this to the Hotel management either in Istanbul, or main Headquarters of the hotel would help greatly, especially since Hotels are in this for money, bad publicity always scares them away!
( they have stopped construction but once the news/attention goes away, they might start again!!)

Four Seasons is a private corporation headquartered in Toronto, Ontario

below is the news about it

" Work finally halted in hotel building

The stay of execution order issued by the Council of State two months ago concerning the construction of an additional building for the Four Seasons Hotel was finally applied on the morning of the committee's visit to the site Saturday. The Eminönü Municipality said the company was cautioned.

Upon the application of the Chamber of Architects of Turkey, the Council of State ordered a stay of execution on work on the three-block additional building in the Four Seasons Hotel grounds in Sultanahmet on March 14. However, even though it was tasked with putting a halt to construction, the Eminönü Municipality did not execute the court's decision for days. Meanwhile, construction continued on the building rising on top of historic Byzantine palace ruins. The Greater Istanbul Municipality also kept silent.

Then Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay called daily Milliyet yesterday morning, informing the newspaper that the court's decision was put into practice and that work was halted on the additional building. He added that work on the archaeological park is continuing to an extent. "

Istanbul Forum

Our Global Partners