Join now

Help! Getting screwed by a language school! (Istanbul)

Views

In the last few weeks I've had the misfortune to get involved with a school called Alta; it's one of those 5-day crash courses that promises to change your life, etc.

I spent three 9-hour days "observing," for which I was promised 50 lira/day. Last week I put in 45 hours teaching a class as my "trial week," and I did a really good job (I earned 5-star ratings from my students on 23 out of 24 evaluation questions).

Looking it over, I declined to sign the contract, as I'm uncomfortable with the terms. For example, they hold Protected content of your initial salary, and you lose all of it if you miss a single day (god forbid, a pipe breaks in the apartment or your cat gets hit by a car and has to go to the vet). Anyhow, I politely declined to sign a contract and asked for my Protected content Protected content observation and Protected content the week).

They are telling me that I only get paid for the trial week at the end of my first scheduled contract week. This seems absurd, as the idea of a trial is for both parties to try it out and then come to a decision. They charge students Protected content for the five days, so I literally made them thousands last week, and I just want what is fair.

I'm not sure that I really have any legal recourse here (I don't have a work permit), but people have suggested bringing a lawyer, if even just to bluff. Someone else has a friend in the tax office, so there's always the option of holding a nice, prolonged audit over their head. Obviously, I also intend to make it very clear to the rest of the teaching community to stay away from this company.

Any other ideas? Anything is much appreciated. Thanks!

Istanbul Forum

Our Global Partners