Join now

Istanbul and the Big One

Views

Aside from the heatwave - and the obvious effects of global warming - this is what we ex-pats should be prepared while living in Istanbul:

"The Northern Anatolia fault line under the Marmara Sea is likely to cause a major earthquake that could do severe damage to Istanbul, according to a professor of geology.

In light of the latest research, the fault is expected to create an earthquake of a magnitude between 7.0 and 7.6 on the Richter scale, said Professor Celal Şengör from Istanbul Technical University’s Geology Department.

“If the fault line starts breaking from the west, the Fenerbahçe neighborhood in the Kadiköy district and the Üsküdar district are going to see the greatest damage in an earthquake,” Şengör said. “If the fault line breaks behind the Princes’ Islands, the Avcılar district and Ambarlı port would be completely destroyed.”

The professor said the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality needs to take precautions to address all potential scenarios instead of choosing just one of these risk zones and fortifying the buildings there."

---from "Expert warns of earthquake risk in Turkey's Marmara region"
Protected content

I guess here's one reason why I'm staying put in Beyoglu, built on rocky foundations, than living in the (Kadikoy-Fenerbace-Uskudar) Asian side.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

Istanbul Forum

Our Global Partners