Join now

Expat Must Speak Bahasa Indonesia Well (Jakarta)

Dear all,
It was my first hang out with Internations last time at MOOVINA, March 6. Too bad my baby boys keep on crying at home and I have to leave early. Will join another event for fun and learn from many of you.

Just wanna share you about a planning from Labor Ministry (Kementrian Tenaga Kerja), that currently new regulation (most likely Minister Regulation) related to TKA (expat), is on process. Secretary of Labor Ministry said about it recently.

The new regulation will require expat worker to have a certificate from appointed institution (to be determine later after further discussion with Badan Nasional Sertifikasi Profesi/National Professional Certification and Ministry of Education), which showing the expat has the ability to speak bahasa Indonesia well related to their work.

The spirit is, to maximizing the transfer knowledge from the expat staff to local staff. Currently our government has been observing and notice that there are lots of positions still held by expat even position with “all local staff can do” , with reasons to make communication easier to the decision makers.

So, as expatriate, if you feel that Indonesia is a good place to stay and to work or doing business, try to practice your bahasa Indonesia during your time with local staff, friends at Internations, or at other communities you are joining. There are still contra opinion from Chairman of APINDO (Asosiasi Pengusaha Indonesia, The Employers’ Association of Indonesia), which mentioning such regulation will bring negative impact on foreign investment planning to Indonesia. APINDO also has strong influence on any new regulation discussion.

Whether the new regulation will be issued or gone with the wind...having the ability to speak bahasa surely will incrase the respect from your surrounding as a guest in this country.

Our law firm recently just helping an Australian investor to invest at one of Bahasa Indonesia School, to have good business agreement with local partner in Nusa Tenggara Barat, and I heard the business runs well. It seems they do see the need of learing bahasa Indonesia for expat.

Thank you and hope this information is meaningful.

Arief Timbul Parhusip
Partner, Chief Business Consultant
PARLIN TIMBUL & Associates
Lawyer & Counselor at Law
Mayapada Building, 11th floor
Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav 28, Jakarta Selatan
P : Protected content
F : Protected content
C : Protected content
E : Protected content
Protected content

Protected content