Join now

Looking to transition career to Jakarta

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum (and to InterNations). I joined to get connected within the business community in Jakarta.

I travel often to Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia) for work and to Indonesia because my girlfriend lives in Jakarta (from Tangerang).

For the last year, I have been trying to transition my career to ASEAN (either SG or Indonesia) but I have found it very difficult. From what I read and everyone I talk to, the best way is to get an intra-company transfer, which I am pursuing but it's empty promises from within my company.

I am fortunate enough to travel to the region every Protected content but it is unsustainable and I am looking for creative ways to get plugged in and find an opportunity in Jakarta where I can transition my career.

I currently live in the U.S. (Columbus, Ohio) and am a Program Manager for a large measurement instruments company responsible for the portfolio of calibration services our units deliver worldwide. I have a great job, great international experience and feel like I will fit well in the local business environment of Jakarta.

I checked the events calendar but there is nothing when I am in Jakarta next (Nov Protected content .

How did everyone in here find their positions in Indonesia? Was it a transfer with your current company? Any major events I should look to attend or align future travel with?

I appreciate any advice you may have!

Best regards,
Jeff

Jakarta Forum