Join now

SA driver's license for expats... (Johannesburg)

Did you know you could have a SA driver's license if you have an International valid one? I found the following very interesting, specially when I was told I had to wait 5 years to get a license or get married!
Hope I could help someone else!

The holder of a valid foreign driving licence or international driving permit as described above may at any time, during the one year of validity thereof after the person obtained permanent residence, apply for a RSA driving licence in substitution of his/her foreign driving licence or international driving permit.
However, in the case of the holder of a diplomatic permit, the person may apply for such a substitution even if the person does not have permanent residence. The question is also raised whether contract workers and visitors can be regarded as permanently resident in the RSA. If contract workers and visitors do not comply with the aforementioned conditions, regardless of the length of their stay in the RSA, they are not permanently resident in the RSA and hence may not convert their foreign licence.

Therefore, once permanent residency has been obtained, holders of a foreign licence (or IDP) have one year in which to convert their foreign driving licence to a RSA licence after which failure to convert will render the licence invalid to convert or to drive with.

A person in possession of a foreign licence may convert their foreign driving licence at the appropriate Driving Licence Testing Centre where residency was obtained, in the RSA.

The driving licence testing centre concerned shall authorize the issue and issue the driving licence in the prescribed manner, when —

• it is satisfied that the applicant is the holder of the foreign driving licence;
• it is satisfied that the foreign driving licence is still valid in the country or territory of issue; and
• in the case of an application for the exchange of a driving licence obtained in the Republic of Bophuthatswana, the Republic of Ciskei, Gazankulu, KaNgwane, KwaNdebele, KwaZulu, Lebowa, QwaQwa, the Republic of Transkei or the Republic of Venda, if the MEC concerned confirms in writing that the applicant is the holder of a valid licence.

Persons in possession of a foreign driving licence, who wish to convert, will require the following:

1.1 Identification document and a certified copy thereof;
1.2 4 photographs;
1.3 Current foreign driving licence;
1.4 Proof of permanent residency in the RSA;
1.5 Proof that he/she was not permanently or ordinarily resident in the RSA at the time the said licence or permit was issued (for example a passport, permanent residence permit or visa);
1.6 A letter of translation of the licence by a competent authority if the licence is not in one of the official languages of the RSA;
1.7 Confirmation from a Driving Licence Issuing Authority that the person is in possession of a valid driving licence (stating the codes and relevant categories of vehicles that the person is permitted to drive), that has not been cancelled or suspended;
1.8 In the case of a IDP, the driving licence on the authority of which such permit was issued; and
1.9 An appropriate card fee.

Johannesburg Forum

Our Global Partners