Email: Protected content to apply
JOB TITLE Junior Compliance Officer - Business Services Centre
DEPARTMENT Professional Standards and Compliance
OFFICE LOCATION Johannesburg
REPORTS TO Head of Professional Standards and Compliance
DIRECT REPORTS None
WORKING HOURS 9:30am to 5:30pm but additional hours may be required
DATE June Protected content
___________ is one of the leading global law firms, with over 40 offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and the United States. With a presence in the world's major financial and commercial markets, we provide excellent business-oriented advice to our clients locally and internationally. Our distinctive market position is founded on our exceptional breadth of our practice, on deep industry knowledge, and on our 'one team' global approach.
Our people are the key to our success, which is why we seek to recruit and retain the most talented individuals in all regions of our global practice.
SOUTH AFRICA _________ has now decided to set up a new Business Services Centre in Johannesburg. The Johannesburg operation of _________ Services (South Africa) Limited will be based within the _________ (South Africa) offices but is a new Centre being set up to support the global practice. This is an exciting new development.
The Compliance team members in Johannesburg will assist the London Compliance team in the provision of CDD/AML support to the global practice.
The Professional Standards & Compliance department (the core team is based in London, with a satellite team in Dusseldorf) is responsible for providing Compliance support, guidance and training to _________. The team conducts Client Due Diligence (CDD) on all new clients of _________ according to the requirements set out in the AML legislation.
A Junior Compliance Officer is principally responsible for the provision of guidance and advice to _________ as part of the New Business Intake process and for ensuring that the relevant policies and procedures to which _________ subscribes are adhered to at all times.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITIES • Review New Business Intake forms submitted by the International LLP
• Ensure CDD has been gathered to the appropriate standard for all new client registrations, including those clients for whom enhanced due diligence is required
• Conduct a degree of personal research from public sources. This involves familiarisation with a wide array of potential sources, including company registries, stock exchange websites, financial and legal regulators' websites, company search providers and external databases
• Liaise with legal staff, support staff and research teams to obtain any remaining CDD information
• Where appropriate, liaise directly with _________'s clients regarding CDD requirements
• Document the evidence obtained during the CDD process in a clear and concise manner
• Conduct risk rating reviews on clients taking into account the information gathered during the CDD process and the manner of work to be undertaken by _________
• Ensure CDD has been gathered to the correct standard in order to approve alterations in the client name or registered address, reactivate inactive clients or alter the CDD standard setting
• Update and maintain the AJS system client records, including client names and registered addresses.
• Update the International LLP client records using the Elite database and facilitate the update of client records in the US LLP. This includes client names and registered addresses, CDD status, EC VAT numbers and current/inactive status
• Provide advice and guidance to partners, fee-earners and support staff in relation to the requirements of Compliance legislation and the interpretation and application of _________'s AML/CDD policy
• Investigate co-client related party checks to ensure that new matters for existing clients are registered correctly and gather CDD for those related parties where necessary
• Liaise with _________ support departments, notably the Finance, Research, Conflicts and IT departments
• Obtain, verify and record clients' EC VAT numbers (when necessary)
• Utilise external subscription databases to screen clients, their directors and shareholders in order to identify PEPs, influential persons, presence on Sanctions lists, criminal activity and adverse press. Escalate these issues where appropriate
• Conduct personal research and liaise with fee earners and support staff in order to allocate a relevant industry code to each new client
• Maintain _________'s PEP databases
• Participate in administrative projects under the supervision of more senior Compliance Officers
As the Junior Compliance Officer becomes more experienced, they may be asked to:
• Participate in either the Retrospective Review or Ongoing Monitoring project, which involves conducting CDD to the current standard on all active clients of _________ registered prior to the implementation of the UK Money Laundering Regulations Protected content refreshing the CDD held for clients registered since the implementation of the Regulations
• Prepare and deliver presentations to the wider Compliance Team on a variety of topics, including detailed investigations into unusual company structure types, refresher presentations on team precedents and procedures and new available sources
THE CANDIDATE • Personable, positive and responsible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE • Excellent oral and written communication skills • Modern language skills would be beneficial
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING • Candidates must have a strong academic background and will ideally be educated to degree level
GENERAL ATTRIBUTES • Ability to effectively manage workload with supervision from more senior team members until experienced enough to handle workload independently
• Reliable and dependable
• Ability to handle queries efficiently with diplomacy and tact
• An effective and diligent team member with the ability to handle solo projects
• Ability to follow instructions precisely
• Proven initiative and strong work ethic