Join now

Issues with Malaysian Immigration (Kuala Lumpur)

Views

Recently had an issue with Malaysian immigration. Was stopped at the passport control and they said that I had done what was known as a "turnaround".

I am required to go to the immigration department for visa clearance.

A few things to get straight first:
1) I have family in Malaysia
2) I have been travelling in Malaysia
3) I was at the end of a 3 month social visit pass and have done this a few times, but with longer exits to other countries, such as Australia, Japan and Indonesia.
4) I was not working in Malaysia, I was living on my existing savings
5) I am in the process of setting up a business that would allow me to issue a foreign worker permit, but the process takes time
6) Currently given one month to appear to immigration as I have a special pass stamp in my passport (i.e. it is not a social visit pass, but special entry allowance)
7) I did have an onward bound ticket, but they didn't bother to check it
8) None of the passport control could speak English to me, they spoke to my friend in Malay.

What I want to know is:
1) What should I expect at immigration, what is the process?
2) What documentation should I bring to support a case either for an extension to another social visit pass or to handle the processing of my business registration and subsequent foreign worker permit
3) Has anyone else gone through this and had success?

I had a friend who basically said they are looking for a bribe... I hadn't thought along those lines until he said it.

His suggestion also was to possibly just "lose" my passport and get a new one so it doesn't have the stamp. But presumably they have a record, although I don't know what their processing is like. They do fingerprint at passport control.

Any advice would be welcome.

Kuala Lumpur Forum

Our Global Partners