Join now

Only locals get the jobs? (Kuala Lumpur)

Views

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to share some experiences from my (admittedly short) job hunt so far and ask you if you had similar experiences.

I've applied for a number of jobs in the past 2 weeks, yet my inbox remains suspiciously empty. So I started working the phone. And what a surprise it was! Most of the people I talked to tell me that they do not hire foreigners! I applied to both international and Malaysian companies, but the mantra seems to be the same. When questioned, one HR lady said that "the government tells us to hire local talent"... I said that I consider myself very local since I now live here, but that failed to make an impression. Conspiracy theories abound, I don't think that the government tells anyone anything and the actual hiring manager doesn't care if you are a foreigner or not. If you have the right qualifications and the right attitude, then they will want you whatever nationality you are.

Now that I vented my frustration, I wanted to ask for your experiences.

Is it the HR department that is the actual obstacle in getting a job? Is the only way to get what you want to aggressively try to find a contact person in a particular company and get them to pass your CV to the right people?
Is it a waste of time to event try to apply for positions advertised on websites such as Jobstreet?

Any useful tips highly appreciated.
cheers,
Marcin

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Kuala Lumpur Forum