Join now

What is the mandatory age for education? (Kuala Lumpur)

I am doing research on the education policy of Malaysia for my study Journalism. Now I have a question... Websites telling me different things about which ages are compulsary to education. Which one tells the truth?

Protected content tells me: 'The admission age to the first year of primary education is seven. Primary schooling is mandatory for all children between the ages of 7 and 12. Students sit for common public examinations at the end of primary, lower secondary and upper secondary levels.'

Protected content 'Education in Malaysia is mandatory for children between 6 and 15 years old, and public schools are free.'

Protected content 'Under the Malaysian education system, a child begins his / her education with pre-school education at the age of four. When the child reaches the age of six on the first day of January of the current school year, he / she will enter the first year of the 6-year compulsory primary education. This is followed by five years of education at the secondary level.The government provides 11 years of free primary and secondary education. However , further education is not automatic but subject to the individual's academic performance and financial capability.'

Now, the first website is of the government (as I believe?) but since the mandatory age in The Netherlands is 5 till Protected content 18, that depends) I am not sure. The malaysian policy of 7 till 12 years seems a very short time period.

Hope anyone has some knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance!

Kuala Lumpur Forum

Our Global Partners