Online Editor (Lima)
Red Pen Bristol (RPB) is hiring! We’re looking for talented freelance writers and editors with some starting knowledge of author-date citation systems. This is a flexible, work-from-home freelance editing position.
RPB proofreads and edits the academic texts (mainly essays and dissertations) of second-language graduate students studying abroad. During the months of August and September in particular, we have overflow work.
Obtaining an editor position entails about 5 hours of online training in early August. Deadlines are generous for training. If you are unwilling or unable to complete this training, please do not apply.
Pay begins at $5 per 1,000 words for regular projects (returns of Protected content and $6 per 1,000 words for rush projects (returns of under 36 hours). Projects range from about 3,000 words to 25,000 words. In past Augusts and Septembers, editors have made between $250 and $800 per month.
Editors can review, accept, or reject project offers via our mobile phone app; there is no penalty for rejecting a project. You get to decide what and how much work to accept.
Invitations to participate in the online training will be sent to accepted candidates by early August.
• Ability to download the RPB app onto an iPhone or Android mobile phone.
• Access to Word and Word’s “Track Changes” program.
• At least partial availability in August/September.
• Absolute dedication to deadlines.
To apply, please send an email with the subject “Editor Application: [Your Name]” to Protected content with the following THREE items:
1. The test paragraph below, copy/pasted into a Word document and then proofread/edited in British (“UK”) English to the best of your abilities using Word’s “Track Changes” tool.
During the Protected content , East Asians grew faster than any other region of the world. East Asian region became a significant area, not only in terms of economy but also political, cultural, and secure. (Aden et al Protected content , p. Protected content are two major players; China and Japan. For a about a decade, they had a relatively harmonious relationship, because they realised importance of economic and political cooperation (Thomson, Protected content , p. Protected content . As Smith et al notes, China needed foreign capital and advanced technologies to develop their economy, Japan also needed large market and cheap workforce to maintain their stable economic growth Protected content 92). Based on two governments national interests, they made a stable bilateral solidarity in Protected content .
There is more than one correct way to edit the paragraph! Like most texts with RPB, this text (or this excerpt from it) is only using parenthetical referencing in general (it’s in the Harvard system, but no style is specified). We are interested in your English grammar skills and ability to keep citations consistent. Regarding citations, RPB is most interested in achieving consistency as efficiently as possible, but APA, ASA, and Chicago (Author-Date) are three good examples of common author-date formats.
2. Your resume or CV as an attachment. Undergraduate degree is required. Graduate degrees are highly valued. Applicants of all majors are welcome.
3. A few sentences telling us what subject areas and what length of texts you’d most like to read. Editors can learn to take on any subjects with RPB, but we appreciate experience in unique subject areas. Our main subjects are listed below from most to least submitted.
Finance, Economics, Accounting
Management & Business
Governance & Policy
Engineering & Computer Science
Sciences (Medicine, Biology, Chemistry)
Marketing & Media Management
Linguistics & Translation
Sustainability (Climate / Environment)
Sociology & Psychology
Text length categories
• Short (3,000 to 6,000 words)
• Medium (7,000 to 12,000 words)
• Long (13,000 to 20,000 words)