Join now

Where to find reasonably priced OTC medicines? (Lima)

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I am finding that ordinary "over the counter" medicines are very expensive here in Lima. I am also having trouble finding medicines that are common in the US.

The two that I have searched for recently are Benadryl and Visine A (for allergy). I went to several pharmacies looking for Benadryl, giving both the trade name and the generic name. The best I got was an offer of an injectable liquid. I just need pills for occasional allergy relief. (It puts me to sleep, but it is the most effective allergy pill I've found.)

I did buy some Allegra, at about $1.50 a pill, 50% more than at home.

For Visine A, I didn't ask for it by name. I just asked for anti-allergy drops for my eyes. I was offered something that costs S/. 66, and when I expressed dismay at the price, was offered something that costs S/. 46. Forty-six soles is still over $15. Visine A usually costs $8, so we're talking twice the price.

In the US, most large grocery stores have items like Benadryl and Visine, cough syryp, painkillers, etc. at reasonable prices. Is there anything like that here?

Lima Forum

Our Global Partners