Join now

Health insurance in Portugal (Lisbon)

Views

Ola

I've come upon my sixth month living here. I have a nice rental apartment, I take Portuguese classes and I'm pretty sure I would like to stay here long term. There are a couple of things that are in the back of my mind and I need to get some info to act upon.

A little bit of background for this one. I'm here as a Hungarian national but I have a Serbian dual citizenship. Long story short, I was born and raised in Serbia as part of a Hungarian minority and when the opportunity came my family got a Hungarian citizenship also. That allowed me to travel in Europe without any problems. My work is tied to working online and I have the luck of an affordable life here but I don't have information about crucial stuff like Health care and taxes (that one is not important here now).

Seeing that the only perk of having a dual citizenship is the passport I have no national health coverage in any of my "origin" countries I would like to have some health coverage here. I live here for 6 months, I have a long term rent contract, I have a document that proves my residence here as an EU citizen. I don't work here and I don't have Portuguese income.

So, my question is what are my options and is there anyone out there who had a similar situation? Can I get a local health care number? What is a procedure? Is there a procedure? What are the options if any?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Endre

Lisbon Forum

Our Global Partners