Sintra or Lisbon - Where to live?
I would like some opinions of which would be a better place to move into the end of June, beginning of July: Sintra or Lisbon?
First, I’m a healthy and energetic 65 year old, female, Irish-American, retiring to Portugal on a very limited budget having taught English as a Foreign Language for over 25 years in the Gulf (Middle East), Asia and Europe. Second, I lived 11 years in small, isolated villages in Oman, and now three years in cities in Turkey where few people speak English. I will work on a novel and promote my other novels. Third, the following are items I value, and thus would like some advice about choosing Sintra or Lisbon.
1. A social life with people who speak English.
2. A 1 or 2-bedroom, unfurnished flat for about Protected content a month. (Lisbon flats seem to have small windows and dark rooms).
3. The flat to be on the third or higher floor, with a lift (elevator).
4. A language school where I may teach part-time to supplement my income, or a place where I may find work as a part-time editor.
5. A quiet street preferably with trees and grass.
6. A flat within a Protected content walk to public transportation (I may buy a motorscooter, but not a car).
An active social life is paramount having lived in small, isolated communities for most of the past 25 years. Unfortunately the University of Illinois-Urbana and University of British Columbia, Canada do not have alumni clubs in Lisbon, so I can’t network with alumni from my former colleges.
Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be lovely.