Join now

achieving native phonetics (Spanish-English) (Madrid)

Hello

May be there are English native speakers out there in Madrid interested in improving these two particular skills in Spanish as foreign language: phonetics and entonation.

If that was so, we could help each other with this.

I am Spanish native speaker and I would love to improve both my phonetics and my entonation, when I pronounce words and sentences respectively, in English. To beging with I would like to be able to pronounce single words without native speakers noticing that I am Spanish native speaker. Later on I would like to be able to imitate also native entonation in full sentences.

The idea of the exercise I have in mind might seem boring for many people but its results sound enticing to me: it consists on listening to the native pronunciation of a few selected words and pronouncing them many times, hundreds if needed, while the corresponding native speaker listens with patience and corrects as much as needed up to the point in which the phonetics of the non-native speaker is at least 95%-100% native for the seletected words.

For the entonation something similar could be done, that means selecting a few sentences from some contexts and pronouncing them after listening the native entonation. The native speaker should correct the entonation up to the point in which the entonation looks like completely or almost native.

Seeing videos of native speakers is a good tool but this activity might be a good complement if you ever have the time.

If the idea of carrying out this exercise in order to get these two particular skills in Spanish corrected, that means your phonetics and your entonation, while helping me with mine in English, sounded appealing to you, drop a comment below or send me a message.

Thanks

Madrid Forum

Our Global Partners