Join now

Kindly asking your opinion, appreciated -) (Malta)

I just returned from a brief visit to Malta and I am still dazzled by its breathtaking architecture, its abundance of all great things & touched by its people kindness and consideration.
Therefore, I am presently exploring the stages to relocate to Malta and equally am so grateful if offering me any clarification, correction or addition to the following:

Canadian citizen using Canadian passport do not require a visa to enter Malta for tourism or business stays under 90 days.
When applying for an ID card, I Should consider staying at same address during the 90 days (if changing address should change ID, right)
phone no and e mail add should be sourced in Malta (any recommendation for internet and cellphone providers + any guidelines to sort it out without the ID card in hand/foreigner.
To apply for an ID I have to get a witness. How should I approach this matter when just arriving to a new city and being a total stranger without connections.
ID card allow me to find a job &/or start a job.
Am I allowed to leave Malta for few days after applying for an ID or should stay in city during the process.

Register with the employment agency (ETC) for work within 7 day of arrival.
Is it better to get a private health insurance from home prior the relocation or practical to manage it when arriving to Malta (if applicable any referral please)
Setting a bank account for non resident (any recommendation for lowest banking charges, if depositing less of Protected content

I am attracted to Valletta & Vittoriosa old architecture construction. Any similar old neighbourhood you recommend for accommodations)
In regard of renting an apartment (MTA licensed) long term, is there a room for negotiation the monthly fees &/or conditions or not proper to consider it.
Are utilities paid directly to landlord or separate arrangements with the concerned companies (water, electricity & gas/how to control the consumption/avoid overpaying)
After 3 months I am entitled to apply for ordinary residency as self-sufficient (if couldn’t find a job) or get residency through a work permit. At this stage I will be automatically registered for health service and pay NI contribution.
Canada has social security agreements with the UK, what are the benefits &/or where can I get further info accordingly.
Any further guidelines recommended that I should consider as first steps before relocating.

Thank you so much for your patience. Looking forward to read your reply. I hope I wont be imposing when having further questions to ask.

In gratitude,

Micha

Malta Forum

Our Global Partners