Join now

Research Retirement Migration and Tourism in Malta

Hello everyone, my name is Margaux Panken and I am a masterstudent from the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium. From the 3rd of April until the 17th of April, I will be doing research in Malta and Gozo for my thesis. I am studying the phenomenon of international retirement migration and retirement tourism.

For my research I am focussed on two things. The first one is on what Malta and Gozo are doing for retirement tourism and in particular for the health care of these tourists and expats. I am interested to know the quality and quantity of services (in terms of health care, medical services etc) available for expats. The second one is all about the integration of expats/tourists and the problems that can be associated by this. I would like to know for example if expats feel like tourists or more like locals or neither.

For this second part I am looking for expats (aged +/ Protected content or older) who after their retirement moved permanently, seasonally (so only for a couple of months a year) to Malta or Gozo or have a second-home in Malta or Gozo and would be willing to do an interview with me. You can choose to meet whenever you have time and the interview will be as long as you want it to be. It will just be a casual conversation about how you spend your retirement in Malta.

If interested, I am available from the 3rd until the 17th of April. You can contact me on my e-mail adres: Protected content

If you know someone who can help me get in contact with some people or if you know someone that would want to do an interview, feel free to contact me. Also if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.

I am very excited for this research and my time in Malta and I hope I will get to meet some of you.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards.

Margaux Panken

Malta Forum

Our Global Partners