Join now

First time visitor... (Manila)

Hi everyone,

I will start a job that partially involves working in Manila - my first visit is in a few weeks (and will stay approximately two weeks).

When reading (on the internet) about the safety situation in Manila, the scams, robberies, corruption, etc it's impossible to not become concerned ... but, how bad is it really? I will stay in Makati, and most (if not all) my work tasks will also be in Makati, which looks to be the safest district. I know all the basics of course, like don't wear jewelry, "dress down" and so on, but anything else? On a few days though I actually have to wear fancier clothes for work, like a jacket and shirt...

At the airport - is it common for the personnel there to cause problems, trying to get money from you, scamming you in whatever ways? With millions of travellers of course most should have no problem, but as a single traveller I guess the risk would be higher.

I guess I am exaggerating the risks, but anyway, any up-to-date Protected content or advice for getting by safely for two weeks there would appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Manila Forum

Our Global Partners