Join now

Getting Money into the Philippines (Manila)

Views

I guess this one is very handy. Some people like to wire money here via Xoom or Western Union but you pay per transaction or a percentage of the amount you wire. This can be very handy if you need money right away but takes away from the money you are bringing in.

What I have found is the most money saving way of getting money into the country with the least amount of money spent.

Citi Bank is probably the easiest bank to work with since they are international. Get an account with them. Being that I was bringing in US Dollars into the country, I got a dollar account. I simply write a check for the amount from my US checking account and deposit it into my dollar account here. There is no added fees or anything. I can write a check of up to $10,000 to be deposited. The only main problem is that it takes 15 working days to clear and be deposited into your account. The cheapest doesn't always mean the fastest but at least your not losing any money. If you dont mind spending $ Protected content per ATM transaction not including the fee that your bank in the US might charge for foreign money conversion and also the money you lose from using a banks dollar exchange rate when you can take out the money in dollars and go to your local highest exchange rate shop and convert it to PHP, then it is up to you. You can also write a check every day but the max is $10k per check. Simply, to me, every penny counts when your living off your retirement/savings. Well at least till I find a job, lol.

This is just another way to bring in money if your not in a hurry to get it all in at once.

Manila Forum

Our Global Partners