Join now

Relocating in May, advice on housing, education (Manila)

Hello all!

I will be relocating to Manila with my family. For starter, I have some questions on housing and education that I need advice (cost information to do budgeting).

1. Housing
My husband will be working in the Taguig/Makati area. We plan to rent a 3 bedroom condo/apartment. How much would a month's rental be for an apartment in this area? I understand that advance payment of 12 months rental is not uncommon.

2. Education (Kindergarten)
I will enrol my 4 year old boys into international school. Not sure of which school as yet. Do I need to register for them in advance? Do I need to worry about availability of vacancy in the schools? Any recommendation of schools that is near Taguig/Makati? How much monthly school fees would that be?

3. Hiring domestic helper and driver
Traffic is a problem in Manila. Is it common to hire a driver or do people self-drive there? is it dangerous to self-drive in Manila (common to get robbed while in the car)?

How much would hiring a domestic helper and driver cost?

4. Health insurance and doctors
How much does it cost to get basic health insurance for adults and children? Understand that there is state-owned PhilHealth vs the private ones.

Do I have to register my family with the doctors and Pade upon arrival?

5. Anything in particular on relocating to Manila that I have to watch out for? I understand that I can experience typhoon. As this is my first relocation, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Manila Forum