Join now

Seeking a career as opposed to a job (Manila)

My name is Darrell A. Guinn. I am a 15-year American expat to Japan. I graduated from university in the U.S. with a degree in Mass Communication (with honors) and have 15 years of experience teaching English as a second language here in Tokyo. Currently, I am a head teacher and I have renovated part of my home to serve as a private school as well.
Although I have a healthy income in Japan, this is not a retirement-friendly nation for expats. To avoid having to pick up and move upon retirement, I would rather choose where to relocate now and spend the next 25 years of my working life paying off a home loan. I have narrowed my two options to Manila and Bangkok. For the purpose of making an educated decision, I have traveled to and worked in both Bangkok and Manila.
I am currently pretty far along the interview process at a university and an international school in Manila. I've also sent a resume to one other college. In most countries, academic careers would be a good career path. I'm wondering if that is the case in the Philippines. I've heard mixed opinions and I would like to humbly beg, amongst you expatriates, your personal assessment of the working conditions in the educational institutions of Manila. Do universities truly work to foster the development of the students therefore making it a rewarding job? Or does the most stability rest in the training positions of the many call centers?
I have reasons to take more interest in Manila than Bangkok, but I will spare you the agony of reading a novel as an initial post. I am happy to answer any inquiries as (and if) the thread gains life.