Join now

happy Xmas (Marbella)

“When troubles come our way, we sometimes falsely give them the following three characteristics.

1. They are PERSONAL. “Something must be wrong with me” or “Why do I deserve this” when in actuality, it is an unsubstantiated burden caused only by the situation.

2. They are PERVASIVE. “These things ALWAYS happen to me!”. This is a perspective issue. Bad things happen, but much good happens as well. Sometimes, it is difficult to focus on that good, but it is there and important to see, especially in the darkest times.

3. They are PERMANENT. “This is a permanent issue or situation that will always effect my life”. No, it is temporary and eventually will pass.

When we are speaking to a friend who has these responses, we are quick to offer kind words, comfort, and encouragement, realistically viewing the situation from an outsider’s perspective. Often, however, we do not do the same for ourselves. It is good to “speak” to ourselves as we would speak to another — with the same inspiration and reassurance.

At this holiday time and on into the new year, treat yourself like that friend. Speak truth, confidence, and optimism, looking for the silver lining among the clouds. That will help bring the joy and gratitude that is so important, especially now — and always.”

We hope that perhaps these words might be a blessing and encouragement to you or to someone you know, as they were to us.

Throughout this month, we pray you have a genuinely joyful holiday season and a safe, happy, peaceful, and prosperous New Year.

Marbella Forum

Our Global Partners