Join now

Searching job/volunteering/couchsurfing (Marrakech)

Views

Dear expat/internations community of Marrakech,

I'm a new member here, no expat (at least not yet ;) ) but a 26 year old Austrian student from and based in Vienna with a fascination of the Moroccan culture.

I'm thinking about travelling to Marrakech in my university holidays from mid December to first week of January. Why ? 1) I'm free to travel in that time due to christmas holidays. 2) I'd like to experience once spending our Christmas and New Years Eve abroad and getting a bit of an insight how expatriate and tourists spend Christmas and New Years Eve in Morocco, and also to experience Morocco during winter. 3) This semester I started a course of Modern Standard Arabic and it would be good for me if I can improve my (intermediate) French and train a bit my Arabic.

I'm currently studying Cultural and Social Anthropology (previous name: Ethnology) with a regional emphasis on Northern Africa and the Near/Middle East, but I also already have a Masters degree in (Ethno-)Musicology. Some semesters ago I made an Erasmus study exchange in Paris, studying French language, Anthropology and Art at Université Paris 8. My English language skills are fluent, French intermediate and German my mother language.

I'd like to know from you if you offer or know any offers for a short job in Marrakech from mid december to first week of january, any volunteering possibility (by volunteering I understand/ prefer an exchange of me offering some hours a day working in exchange to a free accomodation) or couchsurfing possibility ? Due to being a full time student I can't work fulltime and so I don't have a lot of money, already the flights to Morocco would be expensive for me, so if don't work in Marrakech, I probably could not afford paying in addition for an accomodation.
I'm a reliable, social, attentive, patient, liberal, polite, active, interested person, always open-minded to gain further professional and social experiences.
I feel skilled in doing various types of work, including gardening, babysitting / child care, elderly care, general maintenance, cooking / shopping, help in the house, animal care, helping with tourists, charity work, language practise and translation,
art projects, help with computers / internet, ..

And in general, how is Marrakech during december and january, how did you experienced it ?

I already visited different parts of Morocco in May and June, including several visits to Marrakech, trekking from Imlil to Jbel Toubkal with a local guide from Asni, camel trekking through Erg Chebbi and staying there over night, living with local families on the Atlantic Ocean coast (Essaouira, Sidi Kaouki) and Fès (all organized via the association "Maroc chez l'habitant"), short visits to Aszrou, Volubilis, ..
This journey was an absolutely intense and inspiring experience for me and I'm very interested to discover more of the fascinating soul of Morocco, especially the Amazigh culture, and the region of Marrakech and the High Atlas mountains.

If you need/ want more information about me, please feel free to ask.

Looking forward hearing from you very soon ! Any hint to a job/ volunteering/ couchsurfing possibilty would be helpful !

Best greetings from Vienna,

Marita

Marrakech Forum

Our Global Partners