Join now

Where to live in Marseille?

Moving to Marseille in August. I'll be working in the 8eme arrondissement, but have no idea where to live. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm looking for somewhere that has/is near to, a good social scene, so that I can meet new people as soon as I get there. Also, I won't have a car to begin with, so somewhere that I can get to transport links fairly easy would be good.
I have been considering cycling to work (avoiding cycling on roads), however I'm not sure whether Marseille has any cycle paths near the 8eme?

I was thinking of maybe the 6eme of 7eme, as it seems they are in between the 8eme and the centre of Marseille.

In terms of the building, I'm not too fussy. As long as its somewhere clean and safe, with somewhere to cook and sleep, then I'm happy. I hear that rental is around 500euros/month? I'd like to avoid going over that if possible (not too sure which areas are pricey)

Lastly, I would quite like to live with French speakers, to improve my French. Does anyone know of any websites where I might be able to find spare room to rent, instead of renting my own flat?

Cheers :)